Award-winning Lizzie Tulip MSGD, is an experienced garden designer and Chelsea Flower Show medal winner. She lectures and writes about garden design and has had work featured in the national press and on the BBC.
Lizzie Tulip Garden Designs was commissioned to design a large domestic garden in North Yorkshire and enlisted Johnsons Xpress to supply the plants.
The client’s brief was to design the garden of their house in North Yorkshire as a series of spaces that would enhance the beautiful context of the surrounding landscape and make the most of the views out to the Vale of York and the White Horse in the North York Moors.
Johnsons Xpress Manager, Luke Richardson, worked closely with Lizzie to advise on plants required to bring her garden design to life. Taking into consideration a variety of factors from growing conditions and plant placement, he advised on aspects including colour choice, plant shape and seasonal colour.
Over the two-year project, Johnsons supplied over £25,000 worth of plants for the full garden renovation which included:
• over 80 Buxus balls in various sizes
• 11 pleached Carpinus trees
• over 200 root ball Taxus for hedging, Taxus beehives
• 1000’s of herbaceous and shrubs.
Key features in the garden now include:
• A front garden and cloister garden with a unique circular step linking the two gardens
• A new loggia providing a prestigious backdrop to the formal lawns
• The North Lawn which takes in views of the surrounding fields
• A pool garden and a wisteria-covered pergola
• An upper terrace with a ‘double lavender walk’ with views of the White Horse near Kilburn
• A formal pond set within the lawn
• A domed ‘hornbeam arbour’ and an exotic stumpery, where the stream flows down to a pond with a series of small bridges
Ellie Richardson, marketing co-ordinator for Johnsons Nurseries Ltd, said: “It’s been fantastic working with Lizzie on this for the past couple of years. It’s great to see the garden coming to life now as everything has matured. It is a truly beautiful design by Lizzie Tulip.”
Lizzie added: “Working with Johnsons has meant a smooth process from start to completion on this project. The expectations of quality on both mine and the client’s side have been fully fulfilled. The range of stock and sizes available has enabled us to be wise with our selection to give the best impact at the right price.