A warm welcome to Charlotte Smith, who recently joined the team as a management trainee. Charlotte will be working at different sites within the business and will learn about how each site runs.
1) Tell us about your past roles in horticulture:
I worked as a nursery assistant and then progressed to a deputy manager at a retail nursery. I also spent time propagating at a specialist conifer nursery, learning from conifer expert Derek Spicer.
2) What will your role as a management trainee include?
Learning all aspects of the business and how each site runs.
3) What have you enjoyed most about your time at Johnsons so far?
The day spent tractor & dumper training and my time spent at Roecliffe, especially when I was put in charge of the lifting.
4) What are you most looking forward to in your role?
The potential to expand on my propagation trail of Mahonias and to perhaps propagate more plant varieties on site.
5) What do you think the challenges will be?
Understanding departments well enough to be able to assist in managing them.
6) Favourite plant variety?
We have quite a collection of trees at home, all currently in pots; however, my favourite would have to be Cercis 'Ruby Falls'.
7) What do you like to get up to outside of work?
Going for long walks in the Yorkshire dales and along the coast. I enjoy visiting small independent nurseries to expand our plant collection. Also, spending time working on our new allotment.
8) Tell us something your colleagues won't know about you:
I have just had a new tattoo, meaning I now have seven.
Posted 5th Dec 11:53am